Safe Use of Pesticides (PA1) and Hand Held Applicators (PA6) – Refresher Lantra ITA
Pesticides are very widely and successfully used in land-based industries, but they can be potentially harmful substances, therefore it is essential that they are handled, applied and stored correctly. Keeping knowledge and skills up to date is important, and this course evidences operatives CPD for the Safe Use of Pesticides and Hand Held Applicators.
Our Safe Use of Pesticides and Hand Held Applicators refresher course will guide you through the key elements of using pesticides safely with hand held applicators. On completion of a short multiple choice question paper, this course evidences operatives CPD and attracts 12 BASIS CPD points.
Who is it for?
Our one day training course is for you if you are responsible for the storage, handling and application of pesticides using hand held applicators. This course will confirm your knowledge of health and safety and legislation enabling you to work safely and effectively out in the field.
This course is for existing holders of certificates of competence.
- Common terms when using pesticides
- Consequences of NOT using or handling pesticides safely
- Legislation that affects pesticides use
- Pesticide product labels
- Personal Protective Equipment (PPE)
- Safe storage and transport of pesticides
- Environmental factors
- Disposal of pesticides and containers
- Dealing with accidents
- Keeping pesticide records
- Basics of spray application
- Hygiene and Personal Protective Equipment
- The working principles of a knapsack
- Preparation of the applicator for work
- Calibrating a knapsack
- Mixing, filling and site work
- Calibration – concentration method
- Decontamination, tank washing and storage.
Learners will require...
- Calculator and writing materials.
- Handouts from the Safe Use of Pesticides course.
- Applicator - A minimum of one CLEAN applicator is required between two learners
- Product labels - Learners should be encouraged to bring clean examples of product labels.
- Personal Protective Equipment.
- Measuring jugs, large and small.
- Marker poles.
- Packed lunch.
This is a Lantra ITA course
This means the training and assessment is carried out during the course by your instructor. You will receive both a certificate of training and an ID card (if you provide a photo!) This method saves time and is usually cheaper although the level of training is identical to Independent Assessment.