Animal Transport by Road: Short Journeys (Exam only) C&G
The welfare of animals during transport is protected by retained EU legislation. Council Regulation (EC) No 1/2005 stipulates the importance of the protection of animals during transport and related operations.
Who is it for?
The City and Guilds/NPTC Level 2 Award in Animal Transport by Road: Short Journeys has primarily been designed for those who transport cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, horses, poultry, or game birds for road journeys over 65km and up to 8 hours duration.
The regulation requires that the transporters of live vertebrate animals, and assembly centre staff handling the animals, in connection with an economic activity are trained in the relevant technical provisions of the regulation. This qualification will ensure you meet the requirement for a Certificate of Competence outlined in the Council Regulation (EC) No1/2005 on the Protection of Animals During Transport and the Welfare of Animals (Transport) Order 2006.
We facilitate a laptop based, centre invigilated exam. This does not include training beforehand.
The qualification is species specific (e.g. cattle, sheep, goats, pigs, poultry, horses, game birds). It covers:
- Legal requirements and responsibilities
- Responsibilities when transporting animals
- Planning a short journey by road
- Suitability of the vehicle
- Checking animals and fitness to travel
- Causes and signs of stress in animals
- Space allowances, stocking densities and segregation requirements
- Handling and animal welfare in transit
- Post journey requirements
- Title: Animal Transport by Road – Short Journeys
- Cost: £95+VAT for the first animal, then £70+VAT for any subsequent animals (if taken on the same day)
- Duration: 1 hour