Safe Use of Pesticides (Grandfather Rights) C&G
A current exemption in UK law, commonly known as “Grandfather Rights”, allows anyone born before 31st December 1964, to use Plant Protection Products (PPPs) authorised for professional use on crops, land, produce, materials, buildings including building contents) which are owned, occupied or rented by them or their employer without having to hold a Certificate of Competence, although they should still be suitably trained and competent for their job. The Plant Protection Products (Sustainable Use) Regulations 2012 allows this exemption to continue until 26th November 2015, after which everyone who uses PPPs authorised for professional use must hold a Certificate of Competence.
In addition, after 26th November 2015, it will be an offence for anyone to purchase PPPs authorised for professional use unless they have ensured that the intended end user has a Certificate of Competence.
If a person does not hold a Certificate of Competence, they need to obtain one by 26th November 2015 so that they can legally purchase and apply pesticides on their own land/property or that of their employer. This qualification will be the City and Guilds/NPTC Level 2 Award in the Safe Use of Pesticides Replacing Grandfather Rights.
Alternatively, a person can obtain one of the existing Level 2 Safe Use of Pesticide Awards appropriate to the work and type of equipment they use. A person must take this route if they intend to work as a contractor or apply PPPs to land/property that they or their employer do not own or occupy. Please see our other course links relating to pesticide training or call for further information.
Who is it for?
This course is for people born before 31st December 1964 and do not have a specified Certificate of Competence. Under new legislation, from 26th November 2015 everyone will require a Certificate of Competence to apply PPPs (Professional Plant Protection Products).
The qualification consists of one mandatory unit and one of the three optional units.
- The Principles of Safe Handling and Application of Pesticides on Own Land.
- Hand Held Sprayer
- Field Sprayer
- Other Equipment
It is important that you are able to read and interpret product information in order to participate in this course.
- Code of Practice
- Legislative Requirements under “Grandfather Rights”
- Health and Safety at Work
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health
- Control of Pesticides
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Use of Appropriate Equipment to Apply Pesticides (Either, Option 1 – Hand Held Sprayer or Option 2 – Field Sprayer or Option 3 – Other Equipment)
- Wildlife and Countryside Act
- Food and Environmental Protection
- Title: Safe Use of Pesticides (Grandfather Rights)
- Cost: Mandatory plus Tractor Training (1 day) £300 plus VAT per person for City & Guilds/NPTC Assessment, Certificate and ID.
Mandatory plus Knapsack Training (1 day) £280 plus VAT per person for City & Guilds/NPTC Assessment, Certificate and ID.
Mandatory plus Other Equipment - Please call 01430 860057 for a price.
Prices may vary depending on location and/or numbers.
- Duration: 1 day plus Assessment for Mandatory plus Tractor Training.
1 day plus Assessment for Mandatory plus Knapsack Training.
- Pre-requisites: Anyone born before 31st December 1964 and who does not hold a Pesticide Certificate of Competence