4 x 4 Off Road Driving Lantra ITA
Two certificate options have been designed to support operators with off road vehicle operating (4×4) safely for work related purposes. The course will take place using suitable off road areas. Certificate option 1: Principles of Off Road Vehicle Operating is designed for users of 4x4s who will only tackle basic off road obstacles and will always avoid more severe threats and weather conditions. Assessment is on a limited range of obstacles with a lower threshold of acceptable threat/risk. Certificate option 2: Operating Vehicles in Off Road Adverse Conditions is designed for users of 4x4s who may seek to tackle some more severe obstacles and sometimes in poor weather conditions. Assessment is over a range of obstacles, identifying and managing risks in a practical manner making reasonable use of vehicular and driver capabilities as appropriate. Note: If a learner has been booked on the Operating Vehicles in Off Road Adverse Conditions certificate option, the instructor may indicate the Principles of Off Road Vehicle Operating as a more appropriate certificate option as a result of the learning programme/learner requirements.
Each option can also be organised and delivered as refresher programme. The refresher is designed for users who have previously received accredited training in 4×4 off road vehicle operating. Emphasis will be made on the sessions where additional training is a requirement. Assessment will be in line with either certificate option 1 or 2; on a range of obstacles, identifying and managing risks in a practical manner making reasonable use of vehicular and driver capabilities. Refresher training/assessment may be triggered by: 5 years elapsing from the completion of prior certification time elapsed guided by user risk assessment a response to an incident or a near miss or receipt of a new vehicle.
Who is it for?
Any person who is will be required to operate a 4×4 vehicle in an off road environment. All learners must be able to demonstrate that they are competent in driving normal vehicles in a road situation and hold a current driving licence.
- Comply with legal requirements emphasising safe practice.
- Identify risks associated with using a 4×4 vehicle off road.
- Select and use appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Understand the main causes of accidents.
- Identify the controls and components of the vehicle.
- Perform pre-start checks.
- Prepare the vehicle for use off road.
- Assess the suitability of the ground/route.
- Identify and report faults.
- Perform a failed hill climb.
- Drive over a variety of terrain (appropriate to the vehicle type).
- Perform an on-site risk assessment.
- Identify the loading/towing capacities.
- Understand legal and practical requirements for off road driving
- Identify the dangers of vehicle self recovery.
- Title: 4 x 4 Off Road Driving
- Cost: Duration: 1 Day
Costs: £200 plus VAT including training, registration, certificate and ID card.
Duration: 2 Days
Costs: £330 plus VAT including training, registration, certificate and ID card.
This is based on full course of 3 people.
Prices may vary depending on location and/or numbers.
Courses may be longer at additional costs if further training is required.
- Duration: 1 Day for Experienced Drivers
2 Days for Novice Drivers
Learners will require...
- Safety boots
- Warm clothing (if required)
- Suitable vehicle (available for hire at an additional charge)
This is a Lantra ITA course
This means the training and assessment is carried out during the course by your instructor. You will receive both a certificate of training and an ID card (if you provide a photo!) This method saves time and is usually cheaper although the level of training is identical to Independent Assessment.